Ronde Barber’s Decision “Imminent”May 6th, 2013
Well it seems Bucs legend Ronde Barber’s decision whether to come back for one (or two?) more season with the Bucs has been made.
The only thing left is for him to make his decision public.
That’s the word from Tampa Bay electronic sports czar J.P. Peterson, a confidant of Barber’s. Peterson appeared on WTSP-TV Channel 10 (one of Joe’s proud media partners) Monday night to discuss Barber’s status with Ch. 10 sports director Dave Wirth.
Peterson had a text conversation with Barber Monday night and Barber told Peterson his announcement on his decision is “imminent.” Peterson took that to mean Barber will announce his future endeavors within a few days.
Per Peterson, Barber was about to announce what his decision was last week, but didn’t want to interfere with the ceremony at One Buc Palace to announce Warren Sapp’s entry into the Ring of Honor and jersey retirement announcement.
Joe was there for that ceremony and amongst the many ex-teammates of Sapp’s in attendance; Barber was not among them.
If Barber comes back, it’s hard for Joe to see him starting, surely not at safety with the Bucs investing heavily in Dashon Goldson and Mark Barron. Joe’s not sure Barber would start at corner either, so long as Darrelle Revis is healthy and second-round pick Johnthan Banks has no issues learning the NFL game.
Bucs rock star general manager Mark Dominik told SiriusXM NFL Radio last Thursday he would welcome Barber’s return.