The Buccaneers “React”July 7th, 2013
The Buccaneers have rolled out a new feature on Buccaneers.com that has all kinds of fabulous potential. In something called “Read and React,” the Bucs are steering fans toward select media stories and offering organizational feedback/commentary on each piece.
The Bucs have done this previously on a small and very intermittent scale, but now the feature has a fancy name the team is calling it a “series.”
Of note in this week’s edition, the Buccaneers want you know there was plenty of, um, interpretation involved when Tampa Bay Times beat writer Stephen Holder took a sarcastic jab at Greg Schiano’s public endorsement of Josh Freeman on NFL Network last week.
To which Holder reacts: “Well then. No wavering there.
“This is only news because Schiano has so often left things open to interpretation when speaking about his quarterback situation. Although most astute NFL observers would agree Glennon is no immediate threat to Freeman, a four-year veteran, Schiano’s open-ended statements raised questions.”
Of course, in the sidebar to this column, there are five links, which lead to the following stories previously posted on TampaBay.com:
1. (May 20) “[C]oach Greg Schiano proclaimed – again – that Josh Freeman is the team’s unquestioned starting quarterback.”
2. (May 8) “Bucs draft pick Mike Glennon isn’t a threat to incumbent starting quarterback Josh Freeman, according to general manager Mark Dominik and coach Greg Schiano. Freeman apparently sees things that way, too.”
3. (April 9) “The Bucs, as an organization, aren’t all that concerned about the record-breaking Freeman and the quarterback position.”
4. (April 26) “The Bucs have considered bringing in competition for quarterback Josh Freeman, whose uneven play has frustrated coaches at times. Whether or not Mike Glennon qualifies remains to be seen, but the Bucs must have some conviction about him after selecting him in the third round of the NFL draft tonight.”
5. (April 26) “I think that’s hard with any rookie quarterback. It’s going to be a matter of how quickly he grasps our system. The fact is we have a starting quarterback in Josh Freeman.” – Schiano
You can click through above and read the Bucs’ complete reaction. The point was clear to Joe; the Bucs think Greg Schiano has been pretty darn clear with his message about who is the team’s No. 1 quarterback and Holder’s sarcasm was quite late in the year to be relevant.
Joe loves this new Read and React series. Perhaps the Buccaneers will one day find one of Joe’s takes worthy of dissection.