Notes From Bucs Practice No. 9August 4th, 2014
It was thankfully an overcast day at One Buc Palace Monday for Bucs training camp 2014 practice No. 9. The cloud cover on this sticky humid day helped keep the temperatures down.
Tempers flared a bit when a Bucs reserve linebacker decided to try to turn a Bucs running back into a projectile one too many times. Oh, and Austin Seferian-Jenkins is a freak of nature.
* Josh McCown struggling early. He was off on a screen pass and tossed a pick. Makes up for it by hitting Russell Shephard in space for long gain.
* Mike Glennon to Louis Murphy along left sideline has a fan on his feet in glee.
* Alterraun Verner is wearing the dreaded shorts and floppy hat. Again. (That’s six practices in a row)
* Tommy Streeter covered well by Johnthan Banks but Streeter puts a move on him out of a break to give him just enough separation to catch the Glennon offering.
* The tall Bucs receivers are abusing cornerback Anthony Gaitor. Mike Evans with a pretty over-the-shoulder catch (think Jim Edmonds) in corner of end zone from Mike Kafka. Gaitor had no prayer.
* This time Vincent Jackson shames Gaitor.
* Glennon with a beautiful back shoulder pass to Skye Dawson.
* After practice, Joe noticed Prickly Pete Prisco of CBS Sports chasing down Lavonte David.
* McCown in red zone drill has all time in the world. First three receivers covered and dumps off left to Doug Martin for six.
* On spur of moment during water break, Lovie orders field goal teams on field to simulate a field goal with the clock running out. Teams sprint out onto the field.
* Da’Quan Bowers must be hearing Greg Schiano’s voice in his head. He’s not suited up today.
* Stunning news for Bucs fans: Fan favorite TE Luke Stocker not suited up nursing a right leg injury of some sort. His right leg is wrapped in a bandage.
* Jeff Demps? Dropsies. Any day now might be a good time for him to learn how to hang on to the ball.
*Evans with a catch and delivers a major stiff arm on Mark Barron, who flew in to try to make the tackle.
* LB Danny Lansanah with a pick. This guy is worth keeping an eye on in preseason games. Makes a play in every practice it seems.
* Lane Fletcher damn near picks McCown.
* Bobby Rainey tries to run off left tackle and is swallowed up by Lansanah and Will Gholston.
* ASJ against a linebacker? That just ain’t right. Dude just ran away along right sideline like a prized thoroughbred down the stretch.
* Brandon Magee ragdolls Mike James into the water coolers and a brawl nearly erupts. Vincent Jackson got right in Magee’s grill.
* Quinton Pointer with a diving pick of McCown.
* First team D-line getting good penetration on first-team offense.