Worst Injury

November 7th, 2021

Biggest loss?

If Joe had to think about it, it’s a toss-up among all the Bucs injuries this season.

For Kevin Seifert of BSPN, there is no toss-up. For him, not only is the injury to foot-rubbing, car-littering film guru tight end Rob Gronkowski the worst injury, Seifert has Gronk’s injury as the eight-worst in all of the NFL.

Rob Gronkowski, TE, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Injury: Broken and cracked ribs, punctured lung, back spasms
Games missed: Four.

The Buccaneers are 4-0 in the games Gronkowski has missed, but they lost both of the games in which he suffered the injuries. Worse, coach Bruce Arians said he regretted the decision to bring Gronkowski back for the Week 8 loss to the Saints — he left after five plays with back spasms — and seems intent on being more cautious as the season wears on.

The Buccaneers have a star-studded group of weapons in the passing game, but there is little doubt that quarterback Tom Brady trusts Gronkowski more than any of them, especially in the red zone. While the Buccaneers remain a Super Bowl favorite, losses to the Rams and Saints could have tiebreaker implications later this season. And it’s unclear how much these injuries will limit Gronkowski during the playoff drive. He is the kind of player that makes a really good team great, and he could be the difference between making the playoffs and winning the Super Bowl.

One could argue the Bucs didn’t need Gronk against the slimy Saints. For it was the defense, not the offense, that lost the slimy Saints game.

The Bucs sure could have used Carlton Davis on the field when the Bucs tried to preserve a late, one-point lead in the game last Sunday.

David and Gronk both played in the loss to the Rams. That loss was more on the defense and Gronk was injured early in that game.

So for Joe, the worst injury is sort of a toss-up between Gronk and Davis.

24 Responses to “Worst Injury”

  1. BerrickDrooks Says:

    Honestly just let him recover for the rest of the season he will be needed in the playoffs

  2. Beeej Says:

    Can we assume all 3 cb’s be back next week?

  3. Beeej Says:

    I REALLY like the idea of Sherman mentoring them, would just prefer he do it from the sideline

  4. Mort Says:

    Don’t be silly, it’s obviously Carlton Davis.

  5. Medicated Pete Says:

    Bruce wants to keep playing injured guys way too early because his ammonia brain has taken over. His face & head cannot get anymore BEET RED than it currently is

  6. Marine Buc Says:


    Just when I thought the comments couldn’t get any more idiotic…


  7. PSL Bob Says:

    No, the defense did not lose the Saints game. They played poorly and had some stupid penalties. But when it came down to the nitty gritty, the Bucs had the ball with little time remaining and were driving for a game winning FG. That’s when Tom Brady threw a pick 6. That’s what cost us the game!

  8. tampabuscsbro Says:

    el buco realist I mean medicated pete is at it again.

  9. Jerry Says:

    Losing BOTH Gronk and AB has hurt the offense. It’s certainly slowed it down at least. If they can get at least one of them back, it’ll make a big difference. Those two present significant match-up issues for defenses.

  10. sasquatch Says:

    What type of medication is Pete using?

  11. 1sparkybuc Says:

    With a healthy Gronk the Bucs would be undefeated right now. He was playing like a machine until the injury.

  12. Listnfrmafar Says:

    PLS, the Bucs had a 18% chance of winning that Saints game with 1:41 left & 1 TO. If you can’t do the math that’s an 82% chance of not winning. I will gamble any amount with you if my odds are 82% win vs 18% loss. Just because Brady is notorious for come back wins doesn’t mean it is automatic. Coaching & discipline cost Bucs this game and yes both offense & defense.

  13. Bobby M. Says:

    If available, hoping we snag a top TE prospect in the 1st or 2nd rd. Howard is nothing more then a guy who knows the system and I don’t see him coming back. Gronk, for obvious reasons is yr to yr. Brate is a solid hybrid/back up TE but not a true #1.

  14. Mike Johnson Says:

    Rob always has been injury prone throughout his career. Don’t believe this just check his history. To have him play a complete season last year was almost a miracle. I knew he would go down eventually for a long spell. Same will eventually happen to Brady (God help us then). And its time for OJ Howard to become the monster he occasionally flashes (every blue moon). We need OJ Howard to step up a lot more than he has.

  15. Listnfrmafar Says:

    Mike, Brady missed one season due to injury and very few games. He will stay healthy.

  16. bojim Says:

    I think about a thousand of us mentioned that Gronk shouldn’t play against the Saints.

  17. WalkdaPlank Says:

    I guess everyone forgot about Sean Murphy-Bunting

  18. firethecannons Says:

    Joe says:
    One could argue the Bucs didn’t need Gronk against the slimy Saints. For it was the defense, not the offense, that lost the slimy Saints game.

    truest comment Joe has made since the saints game

  19. Oneilbuc Says:

    Firethecannons. Brady threw a pick that lost the game . Yall refuse to blame Brady for anything . If Jamies would have done that you would be blaming him for this lost .

  20. unbelievable Says:

    Total mistake letting him play last week.

    And you could tell from the very 1st snap he took.

  21. gotbbucs Says:

    Gronk is a massive loss.

  22. Ben green Says:

    Everyone’s right, he’s just needed for the playoffs. The man has taken some hellacious shots. The TJ ward hit took a lot out of him. Gronk was in a bad way. Now that injury was season ending, and this one might be, because your stupid coaches allowed him to play probably on the advise of that snake oil salesmen Guerrero. Any way you look at it, it’s the coaches that are ultimately responsible for protecting these guys from themselves. Now he should be fine for the playoffs, unless your amoniated coach plays him again. Mark Ben’s words, I’ve seen this Play before

  23. Ben green Says:

    Bill played him on Xtra point pro. Gronk broke his arm. Football players play, that’s what we did. A healthy gronk, almost makes it unfair for y’all. Believe Ben

  24. DanCinDaph Says:

    Guerrero doesn’t clear players; that’s on physicians. Gronk is serially injured – his body is just breakable and he gets hammered on field. I agree, save him for playoffs. The gross yardage lost to penalties against the Saints and ultimately the pick on Brady was cause of loss. Brady is human after all. But seriously, keep up those penalties and the Buccs will find it extremely difficult to get to the Superbowl.