Notes From Day One Of Training CampJuly 25th, 2013
* WR Derek Hagen armwrestles with Leonard Johnson for a bomb and Hagen flagged for interference.
* Guy shows up to a Bucs practice in full Giants regalia claiming he is only here to watch Darrelle Revis. Takes all kinds.
* Cops actually had to show up as Giants fan nearly provoked a fight. Imagine?
* Doug Martin showing lightning quick burst.
* Mike Glennon threads needle to Carlton Mitchell along left sideline against Rashaan Melvin.
* Josh Freeman overthrows David Douglas as the ball glances off of Douglas’ hands, into the waiting arms of Danny Gorrer, who races to the right for a pick-six.
* Mike Williams wearing red hightops.
* Bucs working on loose ball drills. Guys are curling up with the ball like a baby in a crib with a teddy bear.
* Offense is putting on a fireworks show in the middle of the day. After a dull morning, fans are pumped.
* First Tom Crabtree sighting. Can see why he is such a good blocker. Built like an anvil. Oh, he can catch too.
* Mike Williams diving one-handed catch over middle for about 30 yards against Danny Gorrer. Sometimes a cornerback is helpless no matter how good the coverage. Just. Like. That.
* Mike Glennon overthrows Michael Smith terribly over the middle. May be worst pass Glennon has thrown as a pro.
* Play-action fake to Doug Martin (fantastic fake by Martin as he acted like he fumbled the ball) and Tom Crabtree is so alone over the middle he was an orphan.
* Wide receiver Chris Owusu picking up where he left off in OTAs and minicamp. He may be a hard guy to turn loose.
* Tight end Nate Byham looks like a fire hydrant.
* Strongside linebacker Jonathan Casillas nearly bats down pass in left flat.
* Doug Martin catches pass along left sideline.
* Josh Freeman seemed to force a pass into a crowd over the middle but Vincent Jackson wrestles the ball away from defenders for the catch.
*Freeman throws long TD to tight end Zach Miller.
* Bucs wide receivers are really playing sharp.
* Now there’s a first: NFL Network’s Warren Sapp is interviewing Bucs coach Greg Schiano live on the sidelines in the middle of practice. Joe has never seen that before in an NFL setting.
* MYRON!!! Nine Lives Myron Lew got roasted terribly by Tiquan Underwood, and Nine Lives compounded his horrible play by drilling Underwood for a pass interference penalty. Good ole, Nine Lives Myron.
* Mike Williams just schooled Danny Gorrer on down and out to right — to fans’ delight.
* Darrelle Revis working on cornerback drills on the far field and wide receivers cannot shake him.
* Playing agasint the second team, running back Brian Leonard breaks loose up the middle.
* One fan here already in midseason form hollering at refs.
* Running back Brian Leonard is decked by Mason Foster. Next play Doug Martin big gain off right tackle.
* Middle linebacker Mason Foster flies in and had there been hitting he would have taken Doug Martin’s head off.
* Heard Bucs coach Greg Schiano barking on his bullhorn for the first time in training camp. Couldn’t make out what was said.
*Bryan Glazer had big, warm bear hugs for Shaun King and Warren Sapp. Sapp refers to Glazer as “Boss.”
* There is actually a guy out here wearing a Browns Peyton Hillis jersey.
* Not sure what to make of this but Darrelle Revis and Mike Williams are in a group fielding punts.
* Days away from induction into Canton, Warren Sapp, working for NFL Network, takes his seat at set along practice field and fans erupt.
*Gary Gibson went down early in practice holding his knee but didn’t miss much time and was back with the first team.