“We’re Going To Keep Playing Him”

January 4th, 2024

Joe wonders what Bucs third-year linebreaker K.J. Britt would fetch on the trade market.

After all, the accomplished Bucs defensive coaches have determined he does a nice share of things better than Devin White.

“Very good football player. We’re going to keep playing him,” head coach Todd Bowles said of Britt on the Buccaneers Radio Network this week.

Britt played about 25 percent of the snaps against the slimy Saints on Sunday. White played the other 75 percent at their shared inside linebacker position. For years in Bowles’ defense, David used to play every snap alongside icon and ironman linebacker Lavonte David.

Joe wasn’t being sarcastic. How good is Britt? Or is the question more about how far White has fallen?

Britt certainly is a nasty and active guy in run defense, but Joe just hasn’t seen Britt play enough to make a good assessment. He’s played just 233 snaps in three years. But more snaps are coming in multiple big games, Sunday and in the playoffs. (Yeah, Joe’s confident the Bucs won’t choke Sunday against a terrible Panthers team.)

Bowles didn’t throw around much love for his defense’s performance last week. He talked about the need to tackle better and to have better “awareness.”

One guy who found flowers from Bowles was cornerback Jamel Dean. Bowles said he had “a heck of a game,” and that’s very encouraging for Joe. The Bucs will desperately need Dean in the postseason.

21 Responses to ““We’re Going To Keep Playing Him””

  1. QBKilla Says:

    Trading him doesn’t make any sense so why do it?

  2. BucU Says:

    Todd also said the effort was there against the Saints. So I take what he says with a grain of salt.

  3. Craig Says:

    I would prefer to know what Devin White is worth.

    At least Britt doesn’t need half the team keeping an eye on him to cover his brain farts.

  4. Bob Levin Says:

    Why hasn’t the NFL fined the defensive cretin who put an obvious “targeting hit” on Baker? Why did he get a free pass on something so intended.

  5. Obvious Says:

    Why in the world would we do that? As of now, Britt is our starter next year. Devin is as good as history and many would say he may be playing in the wrong position anyways.

    Besides, who do we have in line after Britt? Yeah, trading our only known LB for next year seems like a non starter topic.

    Not sure why this write up exists at this time….

  6. Big Red Says:

    I’ll miss Devin White if/when he leaves. Missed Kwon. Missed Beckwith. Injuries suck but they’re apart of the game and life. Maybe we should avoid drafting LBs from LSU for a while…

  7. gotbbucs Says:

    Britt is the safer play on the field.

  8. toad bowels Says:

    Unless the Bucs re-sign Devin White he can leave as a FA and the Bucs compensation would be anywhere from a 3rd round pick to nothing depending on what FA’s the Bucs sign

  9. Show Me the TDs Says:

    “He does a nice share of things than Devin White”. Low bar.

  10. Rich Says:

    I can’t help but wonder about the Joe’s “good assessments ” after one of them continues his love affair with the below average LB #45….

  11. Marine Buc Says:

    @ Joe

    So LVD and D. White are free agents next season and we are going to trade away our only other ILB with experience for a 5th or 6th round pick?

    Makes total sense to me… NOT.

  12. Beeej Says:

    Costs like a million to play Britt, cost 10x that to play DW, who is mostly inferior to Britt

  13. Not Says:

    Desperately need Dean in the post season ? WTF, you mean for our one game ?
    We’re using Britt cuz we have to know what we have since Devin won’t be here next year.

  14. Cchead Says:

    What happened to SirVocie Dennis?

  15. HomerSimpsonRocks Says:

    Britt is more reliable that DW. White has greater straight line speed, but is like a high powered rifle with terrible aim: occasionally it hits the mark and is impressive, but often it misses or causes friendly fire. DW is overrated and I can’t wait until he’s gone.

  16. Ed Says:

    Watch the film, see all the cut back runs where Devin White is flying sideways after taking on a block downfield. He can run but he doesn’t know how to play football.

  17. Kidfloflo Says:

    We’re gonna let White go after this season and u want to know what his replacement would get in a trade? Why would we ever do that…unless it’s a second rounder i guess

  18. sasquatch Says:

    Why are you wondering what he’s worth in a trade? Jeezus that’s dumb.

  19. Front Four Says:

    We should be starting Britt, bring in White to rush the passer.

  20. THOMAS PFALZ Says:

    Since when does the NFL do anything right? Britt should be our starter next year

  21. Ranger Says:

    Been saying that for 2 seasons Front Four I think you’re bang on mate, it’s worth a try it might be the most useful way to use the talents White has