Pushing The Rushing Game

August 3rd, 2017

Dirk Koetter explains.

Last year the Bucs came within an empty beer can of a playoff berth, finishing 9-7, only the second time since Chucky was jettisoned the Bucs had a winning season.

This was largely accomplished by the defense and the arm of America’s Quarterback, Pro Bowler Jameis Winston. The run game? What run game?

Doug Martin had yet another awful season, his third in five years, finishing at the very bottom of yards-per-attempt. Worst! He also had an injury and a banned substance suspension. Other than that, how was the play, Mrs. Lincoln?

The Bucs best running back? Jacquizz Rodgers, who couldn’t even make the roster of the bungling Bears. The Bears!

How bad was the rushing attack of the Bucs? They were second-to-last in rushing touchdowns.

Winning Bucs coach Dirk Koetter is famous for saying, “All that anyone gives a sh!t in this league about is Ws.” And in order to get more wins and make the playoffs, Koetter said yesterday the rushing attack must produce more touchdowns.

This is an area of focus, Koetter said, and he had a sitdown with the running backs about it.

“We were a good running team in 2015, not so good in ’16.” Koetter explained. “I talked to the guys about things that win in the NFL. Statistically, one of the things is rushing touchdowns. It’s down the list a little bit, but it’s still in the top 10 and we’ve talked about it. … that is an important part.”

To further Koetter’s point, the two teams that advanced to the Super Bowl, the Belicheats and the Dixie Chicks, were both in the top-five in rushing touchdowns.

So despite the having the potential for a high-flying offense the likes of which this area has never seen from a Bucs team, Koetter wants his fair share of scores coming the old fashioned way: on the ground.

15 Responses to “Pushing The Rushing Game”

  1. tmaxcon Says:

    even more reason to believe doug martin is not in the teams future plans. hell, Blount almost matched the Gerbils 5 year career touchdown mark last year alone. martin has never been a scorer. at least the martin 30 for 30 will be entertaining.

  2. Lamarcus Says:

    Even more reason to keep dm. The best the roster has right now from a talent standpoint. Joe u can point at dm way everyday but IDC if he smoked crack or inject heroin …..he is the best we have.

    Dsmith was worse in penalties but gets love???
    Gmc is raheem weak bUT gets a pass cuz all acololades?

  3. Harry in Costa Rica Says:

    As good as Tom Brady is, Belicheat sees why it is necessary to have good talent at the RB position – ie, Blount last season. This is why I do not understand why the Bucs did not do more to upgrade the RB position. Sure, I love the signing of DJax and drafting OJ, buy why the hell we did not take a RB with that 3rd rd pick is beyond me. This is just as baffling as when we took a RB (Sims) when we needed Oline help desparately or when we took a frigging kicker in the 2nd rd. I love Licht, but really?!

  4. mike10 Says:

    Now I know as soon as I say this others are going to start mentioning Rodgers’ yards per carry number, but I still think the Offensive Line did a ‘below avg’ job blocking last year.

    Let’s throw out the numbers: Rodgers’ success in defense of the line and PFT’s numbers justifying the OL mediocrity. My eyes told me the Line looked soft in run blocking.

  5. tmaxcon Says:


    why keep an unreliable running back who does not score. why keep a running back that consistently gets dragged down from behind. the coaching is clearly stating the running backs need to score. why keep a running back with a history of not scoring. do you want to win or be doug martins besty…

  6. Jeebs the Honey Bear Says:

    Something I never hear about is the possibility of using the passing game to open up the running game. Now that Jameis has weapons (as well as another year of experience), I think Dirk needs to come out firing and put teams on their heels! Then, with teams backing off, our maulers up front should be able to open up massive holes.

    Use the threat of the pass!

  7. bucsfaninchina Says:

    More proof that Koetter is a metrics-driven decision maker, moreso than he likes to let on.

  8. Lamarcus Says:


    Cuz he the best we have at this time. PROVEN 1000 yd rusher. His medicore is still the best by far we have. Any real football person should know this. This not personal it’s reality. Wake up

  9. Fsuking Says:

    Tmaxcon (and Joe)

    You seem to forget Doug Martin had 11 TDs as a rookie. I’ll be the first to admit that this is a prove it year for Doug Martin and heck, if he gets benched before the trade deadline, he is certainly gone. But saying that Doug Martin will not be on our team receiving carries is foolish. I’ll never understand the people that can’t see through the “carrot” dangling approach that Jason Licht has taken. “There’s no guarantee Doug will be here” means, if Doug Martin is healthy and running hard, he is 100% on the team. It’s moronic to think that Jason Licht would drag Martin through a full off-season and hard knocks to say “hey, you did literally everything we asked and you look great but… bye Doug?” Do you see how stupid that would be?

  10. tmaxcon Says:

    11 TDs as a rookie that was 5 years ago. it’s a what have you done for me lately and the unreliable doug martin has had 3 out of 5 bad years. 11 td was a fluke his rookie year one could easily argue. there is no defending the worthless gerbil.

  11. Lamarcus Says:

    Licht comment was outta context. He said “maybe” he is a one who needs a carrot. Keyword MAYBE.

    TMAXCON. This is not a madden video game. Just cuz u personally don’t like a player u just don’t cut them. Then banking on a 5th round rb who appears to be struggling with adjustment to seat him is plain irresponsible.

  12. Pickgrin Says:

    “things that win in the NFL. Statistically, one of the things is rushing touchdowns”

    Jeremy McNichols scored 43 rushing TDs in 25 games at Boise State.

    Just sayin…

  13. Lamarcus Says:

    Pickskin zero NFL tds. Just sayin

  14. Dreambig Says:

    What scares me Lamarcus is that you might be right that Doug is the best on the team. 3 out of 5 years or 60% of Doug’s career here he has sucked. If the odds continue, there is only 40% chance you get 1000 yard Doug. Your absolutely right, this is not Madden football, Doug is unreliable and we need to find better. I agree with others who have posted that we should have picked up a RB in the early rounds of the draft. If he is still the best on the team, where does that leave us this year? 60% chance we won’t like that answer.

  15. Lamarcus Says:

    Our other rbs have a 0 percent chance of a 1000 yards. So I’ll take that 40 percent any day. I agree with we need better but at the moment. No. I’ll bank on dm.