April 29th, 2014
No way former Bucs TE Anthony Becht would trade up in the draft if he was Bucs GM Jason Licht.

No way former Bucs TE Anthony Becht would trade up in the draft if he were Bucs GM Jason Licht.

Now some nine days from the draft, Joe couldn’t begin to guess who the Bucs will grab at No. 7. Of course, Joe pines for Johnny Football but realizes that wish is unlikely to be fulfilled.

Shoot, if Joe wanted to play devil’s advocate, he could see the Bucs taking a dozen different players at No. 7. It is a total roll of the dice.

Anthony Becht, the Buccaneers Radio Network and BSPN analyst, who soon will have his top-shelf youth camp, already has offered his first choice, if he were general manager Jason Licht. Becht also believes there are many first-round options for Licht, so he told Pat Donovan and Aaron Jacobson of WDAE-AM 620 over the weekend.

“I wouldn’t move up for anybody,” Becht said. “I really think that someone is going to fall in their lap that either they maybe didn’t think they could get, or there might be an opportunity to get somebody that, OK, make a move to make a trade for someone others might want to get.

“How many tackles, how many quarterbacks are going to slide down because that team needs something? I look for a lot of surprises in the first 10 picks.”

That’s the beauty of this draft. It is so wide open, that is the cool thing.

Again, Joe would pull the trigger on Johnny Football but could make an argument for a dozen different guys.

As far as surprises, check the video below. To hear more of Becht, click the orange arrow below, courtesy of Joe’s friends at WDAE-AM 620.

24 Responses to “Surprises!”

  1. Mike Duggan Says:

    Love the Blind Priest scene, one of my favorites in Young Frankenstein.

  2. Architek Says:

    I agree and I even saw in one mock draft that SF traded up with us and we got their first and 2 seconds to get Carr and Marquis Lee.

    I would love that too!!!

  3. Jim M Says:

    Not sure how the film clip ties to the article, but it was GREAT seeing it again. Still think it is one of the best ever.

    Thanks for starting my day off with a laugh.

  4. RastaMon Says:

    I am SO FREAK’n pissed @ the NFL & Goodell….they’d change Christmas if it suited their needs. We shoud be delighting,dicussing,cussing the Bucs 2014 picks already. For years it was noon Sat. finishing early evening on Sunday, What a great football weekend it used to be. About the only good change that has been made it the draft is lowering the 1st round time to declare the pick from 15 minutes to 10

  5. Tampabaybucfan Says:

    I still have hope that Sammy falls to us at 7……3 QBs & 3 position players….like Robinson, Clowney & Mack…and Sammy is ours!!!

  6. The_Buc_Realist Says:

    Thanks to Dominik, The Bucs can draft BPA and it will fill a need as well.

  7. Barry Says:

    Bucs hold a really nice card. Mike Glennon. He’s better than any QB in last year’s or this year’s draft class. QB needy teams can get their QB of the future for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

  8. brandonbucfan Says:

    The big talk is Dallas trying to trade up for JF. As bad as he is a negotiator give #7 for their #16 for a #2 and next years #1. Dallas will suck next year anyway so we could still get a franchise QB next year. Build the team this year with more picks giving us more depth.

  9. Oil Derrick Brooks Says:

    Draft back, BPA

  10. Couch Fan Says:

    Im expecting a lot of trades on Day 1

  11. thegregwitul Says:

    Where do you stand on Derek Carr, Joe? I’ve seen several comments where you indicate a preference for Johnny Football or Teddy Bridgewater. If you had your choice between all of the QBs, who would your top three be?

  12. BuccaneerBonzai Says:

    I for one just want good picks out of this draft. Jason Licht sucks at trades so I hope he is better at drafting.

    Because Lovie sucked at drafting with the Bears.

  13. passthebuc Says:

    @Joe. We are all glad you write and not the GM

  14. GlenninGrad Says:

    Man It’s such bullshark. I’m gonna be in school on a thursday and I’ll miss the Bucs pick. It’s my damn birthday tomorrow and I want the draft NOW.

  15. brandonbucfan Says:

    How do you know Lovie sucked at drafting with the Bears? Were you in the war room? How do you know Jason Licht sucked sucks at trades? Have we seen him in action yet? GIVE THEM A BREAK!!! So far it seems like they did a good job with FA. Seems they got fair value at a fair price and didn’t simply have to overpay like the ROCKSTAR to get players to come here. OR worse yet, let a talent like Michael Bennet go free because of his “bad arm”. Let’s see how they do in the draft…but remember the draft REALLY can’t be evaluated until year 3-4. If we do stay at #7 it needs to be a homerun…if we trade down need two or three starters.

  16. Oil Derrick Brooks Says:

    The point is making a winning team. If the team is better, than Licht’s trades are good trades.

    I’d love to see how people graded Dominik 3 months in to his tenure. I would bet they were high marks. And, we now know how badly Dominik SUCKED.

  17. Oil Derrick Brooks Says:

    And, if you ever thought Freeman was going to stick with the team and ESPECIALLY if you thought Freeman would make his naysayers EAT CROW, then I laugh at your opinion of trades. I will stick with the pro GMs opinion.

  18. MagicBuc Says:

    If we trade down with San Fran, they would have to give us 2014 #30, #56, #61 and 2015 2nd round pick for it to be an even swap. (7th pick is worth 1500 points…#30-620, #56-340, and #61-292= 1252 about 250 points short, thats why an additional 2nd rounder is needed)

  19. Joe Says:

    Where do you stand on Derek Carr, Joe?

    No quarterback — NONE! — impressed Joe at the NFL Combine than Derek Carr. What an impressive young man.

    If the Bucs pick him — yes, there are many connections with Jeff Tedford — Joe sees second round.

  20. Vince Says:

    I do NOT want ANY part of Carr. Yes, the man has a cannon for an arm–but a whopping ONE FIFTH of his passes last year were screens. The HC there was either very stupid (he’s not), or hiding Carr’s deficiencies. He can’t see the rush and is bad under pressure.

  21. Buc1987 Says:

    Here’s where I’m at now. 70% chance they trade down. 30% chance they draft Evans @ 7. I see us fans having to wait all day long for the Bucs to pick.

  22. FLBoyInDallas Says:

    Yes to Carr. Hell yes.

  23. Buc1987 Says:

    Poor Derek Carr…now he must know what it’s like to have the last name Bush. Jeb is probably the smartest and most qualified Bush to actually run for President. Too bad his brother screwed it up for him.

  24. Dennis Says:

    Why does he keep calling Teddy Smart? where is he getting that information from?

    Wonderlic Tests:

    Johnny Manziel – 32
    Blake Bortles – 28
    Teddy Bridgewater – 20

    That obviously doesn’t say it all but where is he getting that from ?