Notes From Bucs Training Camp — Day 2July 26th, 2014
Of course Joe was out at training camp this afternoon. You would expect less?
Unlike Friday’s first practice of training camp, not a hint of lightning was heard, seen or detected. For the most part, the afternoon was sunny if not breezy. There have been hotter practices Joe has attended.
Here are highlights of practice Joe jotted down for your dining and dancing pleasure.
* Vincent Jackson hit in the hands on a slant pattern from the right, but you cannot run downfield before securing the ball. #drop
* Trickery: Mike Glennon fakes handoff and pitches to Tommy Streeter on an end (Benn’ed?) around that no one fooled.
* Alterraun Verner nice breakup of a short Josh McCown pass.
* No contact!!! Danny Gorrer inadvertantly clotheslines Solomon Patton as he is going for the ball.
* McCown on a planned rollout threads needle to Streeter who dances along right sideline staying inbounds.
* McCown deep to Jackson on right side burning Verner. Touchdown.
* McCown throwing deep to Chris Owusu but the play was read like a book by Mark Barron, who steps in front for the pick.
* McCown finds Chris Owusu in space and connects.
* McCown hangs tough in traffic and throws the ball to the right, and the pass went right through the hands of Mike Evans.
* Doug Martin up the two hole and there is nothing there but a mound of bodies.
*Streeter beats a double-team to haul in a bomb from “Cannon” Glennon for six. Left defenders Rashaan Melvin and Mycal Swaim angry and sprawled on the turf. Streeter’s move to the right near the goal line was so good, he twisted Melvin’s ankle.
* Jackson owned Johnthan Banks on a down -and-in buttonhook, but Banks recovered beautifully to break up the pass.
* A Schiano staple not yet heard at training camp this summer: the dreaded crowd noise machine.
* Robert Herron had a bad practice. Early he couldn’t separate from Mike Jenkins. Later, he dropped a perfectly thrown pass from McCown that hit him right in the numbers.
* McCown throws over the middle to Eric Page who got loose and behind coverage.
* From watching walk-throughs, for reasons unknown, it seems the Benn’d-Around has become a franchise staple, no matter the coaching staff.
* Good defense. Glennon looks to pass and everyone covered like a blanket. If this wasn’t underwear football, that would have been a coverage sack.
* Glennon threads needle to the right for Godzilla Evans.
* Currently taking snaps with first team is Jamon Meredith at left guard and Oneil Cousins at right guard.
* Russell Sheppard showing some nice wheels but some bad hands. Gotta catch those passes that are placed in your breadbasket.
* Receivers working on getting off the line while double-teamed.
* Jeff Demps gets past Jonathan Casillas on a wheel route and makes a nice over-the-shoulder catch headed to corner of end zone. Crowd roars its approval.
* Skye Dawson beautifully shook off a double-team at the line. Defenders never laid a hand on him.
* Practice seems to be run at a very crisp pace. Much more so than previous two regimes.
* Bucs receivers doing nice job of going to the ground for underthrown (?) passes from both McCown and Glennon in drills.
Bucs are back at it Sunday for the first day of hitting in this year’s training camp. Weather permitting, practice begins at 2 p.m.