Observations From Final Training Camp PracticeAugust 15th, 2012
Joe was out at the final training camp practice for 2012 this morning and jotted down some highlights, and not-so-highlights.
* Cody Grimm was seen working with the third team defense.
* A morning practice is not complete without Greg Schiano barking instructions with his bullhorn.
* Eric Wright the past week or so has really stood out on defense. Early in practice he breaks up a Josh Freeman pass intended for Vincent Jackson.
* Ronde Barber fakes a blitz up the middle but it wasn’t needed as the run was stuffed at the line.
* Jackson breaks open over the middle for a completion.
* Michael Smith is shifty, even in heavy traffic.
* Najee Goode grabs a pass at midfield and turns it into a pick-six.
* Josh Freeman rifles a pass to the left sideline for Vincent Jackson who taps his toes just inbounds for a catch.
* Michael Smith takes it to the house on a kickoff return, much to the delight of Bucs fans. The next play, Sammie Stroughter matches the score by running up the left sideline.
* Mike Williams grabs a pass over the middle with Leonard Johnson draped all over him.
* Dallas Clark extends high for a pass just out of the reach of Lavonte David.
* Eric Wright with some perfect defense on Vincent Jackson, preventing the Bucs wide receiver from coming down with a catch in the far left corner of the end zone.
* George Johnson gets his left mitt on a Josh Freeman pass using an inside stunt to the left, nearly picking off the pass.
* Robbery! Greg Ellingson clearly burns Myron Lewis for a touchdown on the left sideline but one of the scab refs claims he never got both feet in the end zone. The play happened right in front of Joe and Ellingson has both feet well inside the line with plenty of green to spare. There was no replay to be had.
* A field goal sails so long on the north end zone that it drills a car in the parking lot, triggering the vehicle’s alarm system.
* Second day in a row that during two-minute drills when Schiano pipes in crowd noise, the fans in the bleachers begin yelling at full throat. This time, the fans stood as one, stomping on the bleachers while chanting, “DEE-fense… DEE-fense… ” Joe’s pretty sure a training camp tradition is born.
* Eric Wright and Gerald McCoy would have easily sacked Josh Freeman if not for Freeman’s green no-hit jersey.
* Sammie Stroughter gets the best of Eric Wright over the middle for a completion.
* Mossis Madu with a good gain catching a pass from Josh Freeman in the left flat.
* The scab refs catch an offensive lineman putting Mason Foster into a sleeper hold.
* Eric Wright blitzes and would have beheaded Freeman. Michael Bennett was also in Freeman’s face.
* The defense has played as well as it has played in a few days.
* Eric Wright continues to shine, just missing a field goal block by laying out on a dive.
* Tiquan Underwood hauls in 39-yard pass down the right sideline from Josh Freeman. Joe is getting the sense that Underwood may be your Bucs No. 3 receiver.
* In a very public display of bonding with players about working out in the Tampa heat, Bucs rock star general manager Mark Dominik donned black garb, jogging down Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. joined by director of player personnel Dennis Hickey.