Thoughts From Day 7 Of Bucs Training CampAugust 3rd, 2012
Yes, of course, Joe was at Bucs training camp this morning. Here are some of Joe’s thoughts and observations.
* “It is 2:36, second down, ball on the 34,” Schiano barks into a bullhorn during situation drills. No one had a problem hearing Schiano, trust Joe.
* Ahmad Black had a strong day when the rest of the defensive backs seemed to struggle. Black came firing in on a safety blitz, rushing Freeman but did not prevent a Freeman completion.
* GMC gets pressure on Freeman and his raised paw forces errant throw. Joe has noticed a lot of passes disrupted by hands in the air.
* Larry Asante got huge props from coaches in a punt blocking/recovering drill.
* Bucs practicing recovering blocked punts. Assistants literally kicking footballs into the shins of charging defenders.
* Practice does not seem crisp whatsoever. Appears very sluggish. Again, Joe’s observation.
* Either Bucs receivers have made significant progress or Bucs defensive backs need some work. Granted, Ronde Barber and Mark Barron are limited and Eric Wright is on the sidelines, but at times it seems Josh Freeman is completing passes at will unless he has a hand in his face.
* Mike Williams catches a pass in traffic from Freeman.
* Preston Parker with a sweet move spinning around in end zone along the right sideline to catch an underthrown Dan Orlovsky pass.
* A flag was dropped on a play and Schiano calls the entire team in for consultation. Joe’s guessing Schiano had a few choice words.
* Josh Freeman threads the needle hitting Preston Parker along the right sideline.
* Though he did not get to Freeman, Mason Foster’s pressure collapsed the left side of offensive line.
* Bucs rock star general manager Mark Dominik was working the crowd as he is wont to do. It’s not uncommon for him to climb into the bleachers to chat with fans.
* Michael Smith is clocked by Ahmad Black trying to run left.
* Muscle Hamster breaks through off right tackle for a nice gain.