Six Things Joe Really Wants To SeeAugust 12th, 2011
Even if fans were subjected to hearing Chucky rave about Jimmy Wilkerson and Todd Wash of the Seahawks last night, it was great to have real football back on the tube.
And tonight’s when the real fun starts with the Bucs kicking off in Kansas City just after 8 p.m. In no particular order, here’s some things Joe wants to see:
1. Dominance along the offensive line: The entire line is back, it’s likely the highest paid O-line in the league, and they’ve got no excuses. Joe wants to see dominance from Day 1. If Josh Freeman is going to be the player the Bucs need him to be to win a playoff game, then the line is going to have to finally fulfill its potential.
2. Michael Koenan: The Bucs dared to dabble on the dark side, aka free agency, to grab and overpay the top punter and kickoff specialist on the market. For those who want to see the Bucs buy players next year, you better hope this guy is a superstar.
3. Da’Quan Bowers: In a preseason that’s already considered soft with no two-a-day practices, the Bucs are babying Da’Quan Bowers and his knee, which Bowers claims is fine after a surgery that he says wasn’t a big deal. Keith Millard spoke of the team working to get Bowers healthy. Color Joe very skeptical of Bowers’ health. Let’s see the guy play 10 snaps and look like a live, dangerous body.
4. LeGarrette Blount in short yardage: On WDAE-AM 620 the other day, Mike Alstott talked about how he looks forward to seeing Blount becoming a three-down, all-around back. Raheem Morris has said he’s been very encouraged by Blount’s development. Joe wants to see Blount hit a hole hard and move the chains on 3rd-and-short.
5. Stop the damn run: Joe doesn’t care how the Bucs do it. Just do it. If Thomas Jones’ first five carries are something like six yards, seven yards, 11 yards, four yards, and eight yards, Joe’s going to need Valium.
6. Mason Foster: Good luck, young man.