Bucs “Big Into Measurables”April 2nd, 2013
It may be opening day for the Rays, but draft guru Justin “The Commish” Pawlowski was up into the wee hours this morning pumping out his latest two-round mock draft for 987TheFan.com.
Joe’s highlighted an excerpt from the second round, where Pawlowski has the Bucs snatching their first cornerback of the draft. And Pawlowski reveals that the New Schiano Order is extra big on details like 40-yard-dash times and other minutiae. Whaddya know!
38. Arizona Cardinals – Tyler Bray – QB – Tennessee Commish’s Comments: A slight surprise here especially with the Cardinals recent moves at QB, but Bray has the arm strength to make the throws down the field which are necessary in Bruce Arians offense.
39. New York Jets – Eddie Lacy – RB – Alabama Commish’s Comments: Lacy is a powerful runner with very good vision.
40. Tennessee Titans – Alex Okafor – DE – Texas Commish’s Comments: The Titans need a defensive end that can get to the quarterback.
41. Buffalo Bills – Zack Ertz – TE – Stanford Commish’s Comments: While at Syracuse, head coach Doug Marrone always had dangerous tight ends. Ertz can be that for him in the NFL.
42. Miami Dolphins – Kyle Long – OT – Oregon Commish’s Comments: Long is gaining momentum, but the chips just fell this way. He’d start at right tackle for the Dolphins.
43. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – David Amerson – CB – NC St. Commish’s Comments: I was debating with myself early in this process if Amerson would play safety or corner in the NFL. There is no doubt that he has natural ability to play corner. While his 2011 film is superb with 13 INTs, his play dropped off in 2012 as he was beat for many long touchdowns. The assumption is that Amerson tried to duplicate his special year from 2011 and took far too many chances in 2012. The natural talent is there. Amerson will need proper coaching on technique to help him reach his full potential. The word I’m getting is that the Bucs are very big into measurables this year when drafting players. Well, Amerson is 6’1” 205 lbs and ran a 4.44 40-yard dash.
It’s interesting that The Commish’s intelligence (he was part of the Buccaneers Radio Network in 2011) is telling him rockstar general manager Mark Dominik and the New Schiano Order are big into the “measurables” now.
Is that one reason Myron Lewis remains employed?
Lewis has more length and the same clocked speed as Amerson. Perhaps Schiano believes Lewis really can be resurrected with proper coaching.