Joe’s Third Quarter ThoughtsOctober 18th, 2009
* Great, give the Panthers a short field on the interception. Freaking great.
* Bucs defense playing great and they need to right now. Big fourth down.
* Dave Moore called it. On the Bucs radio network he said the Panthers would run right up the gut. They did and DeAngelo Williams nearly scored.
* Touchdown Panthers. That’s seven points on Josh Johnson. Bucs are in a dogfight. There’s a reason this team is winless.
* Damn, Hollis Thomas buries Caddy behind the line.
* Since early in the game, Johnson has been off target nearly every pass.
* Great! If you can’t pass, run and Johnson had a helluva nice run avoiding a tackle and running through another for a first down.
* Damn, offensive pass interference. Joe appreciates the physical play by Winslow but you have to be careful about being to physical on a pass route.
* Joe can’t remember the last time he saw the Bucs call a bubble screen. Interesting. Nice little gain but they needed a bit more than a “little.”
* Great run by Johnson but Joe is sweating over that near-fumble.
* Good gain Caddy and that really helps when you have second and short. Nice. Dave Moore on the Bucs radio network loves this kind of play.
* Jeremy Trueblood’s olay block damned near cost the Bucs the ball. And what the hell are the Bucs in a seven-step shotgun drop on a second and short when you are running the ball???
* Donald Penn’s hold is very costly.
* This is a freaking pet peeve of Joe’s and it drives him out of his tree: PUNT THE BALL OUT OF BOUNDS AND THERE CANNOT BE A RETURN!!! Why is this so difficult for NFL coaches, who make a boatload more cash than Joe, to figure out? No one — NO ONE! — can return a punt when the damned ball is out of bounds!!! If the punt was out of bounds the Panthers would start at their own-10. Instead, they have the ball first down on their own-40.
* Dave Moore just said the Bucs haven’t been playing with the same intensity since the missed field goal.
* This is not looking good. Panthers are moving the ball way too easy. They are now in field goal range. Crowd seems out of it on radio.
* Monster third down. Need a stop.
* More missed tackles. What the hell??? Untouched into the end zone. Awful!!
* You know it’s bad when people on the Bucs radio network are ripping the Bucs for “sloppy” play.
* Could Sammie Stroughter save this game? Could that play save Raheem the Dream’s job???
* The way Clifton Smith fumbles, maybe Stroughter should return fulltime? Joe has said it before and will write it again: Stroughter was an absolute steal in the draft.
* Stylez White with a very timely, needed sack!
* Major, major, major play by the Bucs with the pickoff. HHHUUUGGGEEE!
* Raheem thinks he’s Bobby Knight following the refs and screaming at them on the penalty on Caddy’s big run that was defensive holding. Way to go Rah!